   RE: [xml-dev] Schema Namespace name, schemaLocation, and Schema Versioni

On Thu, 2002-07-18 at 18:26, Mark Feblowitz wrote:
> Dare  (and others) -
>
> Before we commit the same grievous error, I'd like to more about the kinds
> of difficulties you've witnessed.
>
> Frankly, with all of the dire warnings about breakage to XSL and other
> namespace-aware applications, we are seriously considering following the W3C
> lead and fixing a generic namespace, leaving the version processing to a
> required/fixed version attribute.

I am just curious to know why you want to eliminate the possibility to
change the namespace URI if there were a really major change in the XML
vocabulary.

You can always state that the URI may change in a future "major release"
and keep the possibility to consider that all your changes are consider
as "minor" in the life cycle of your vocabulary (it's a matter of "may"
vs "must"...).

You have 2 possibilities for versioning and I think that the safest
positition is to keep both :-)

Eric
--
See you in San Diego.