   RE: [xml-dev] XML Base (RE: [xml-dev] Article: Keeping pace with James

> Simon wrote:
> >I think XML Base is useful for people too lazy to type complete URIs.
>
> That's true, but there's a bigger use case. For documents that are
> relocatable between local and remote (say file: and http: schemes),
> relative URIs are a necessity. Not surprisingly, this is a common
> request in XML forms processing.

But if you're relocating documents between local and remote contexts,
why are you using XML Base?

We seem to have a whole set of URI-related transformations that
developers simply don't want to think of on those terms, so instead we
have a largely underspecified tool that may solve some problems while
creating new ones.

(Interestingly, XSLT 2.0 seems to be aware of xml:base but XPath 2.0
only mentions Base URI as part of static context, so I'm not sure what
the formal transformation status of xml:base actually is.)
--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!