   RE: [xml-dev] Article: Keeping pace with James Clark

True and true.  But this outlines an important
point:  when it came time to use SGMLS in production,
the ESIS stuff was invisible to the authors.  They
saw the error messages.  Understanding ESIS did
not help them debug the SGML.  Grosso explained
the ESIS to me and that was for me, also, a nice
aha moment, but it also seemed trivial, as if,
ok, that's what I expected it to do, so? moment.  A parser
feeding an application through a clean data model
delights a programmer; a validator that clearly
indicates what is wrong in the markup at what
line in the text delights an author.  Who do you love?

XML has almost single handedly given markup
the reputation of being "computer friendly
and author unfriendly".  Why?  SGML was actually
friendlier to authors and hard on the programmers.
We know why.  It isn't always a good thing
to insist on the programmer as the primary
beneficiary.  HTML succeeded and continues to
thrive because it is friendly to the author.
XHTML is stricter, cleaner, and wallowing.  Why?

There is something to the saying that the
middle class never give up their vices.

len