len

From: Joe English [mailto:jenglish@flightlab.com]

Bullard, Claude L wrote:

> It is not healthy to be an ostrich among the coyotes.
>
> Is or is not a URI dereferenceable?  If you say,
> it depends, you have your head in the sand.

I would say that a URL is dereferencable, unequivocably.
It locates a resource.

But URLs are out of fashion.  The current mode
is to Identify resources, not Locate them.  URIs are
used in several W3C specs -- RDF and XMLNS being the
most prominent -- as opaque, atomic identifiers
that have no semantics other than identity.

If you say that a URI must be dereferencable just
because it looks like a URL, then you haven't been
paying attention.