   XML strategies

On a far less esoteric note than most things discussed on this list, I am
interested in what are the best strategies for leveraging XML in an
enterprise. The use cases are more typically data-oriented as opposed to
document-oriented, but by no means is this exclusive. In the absence of a
particular ML for the domain I wonder how best to position the company to
take advantage of more specific ML's if and when they become available. For
example, is it best to pick an underlying component-oriented ML, such as the
foundations of xCBL or OAGIS or is it better to pick and choose relevant ML
from OASIS, OAGIS, etc as required with no regard to common base
representations or should I just build everything from scratch and migrate
when the requisite ML appear at some future date?

Robert