   Re: [xml-dev] XML strategies

7/20/2002 11:04:03 AM, Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com> wrote:

>And the like.  This is the sort of thing I expect to read from Infoworld
>analysts, and not on a list for XML *developers*.

Oh, well, it looks like I have new career options, if not the
respect of my peers :~)

But seriously, I interpreted Robert Leftwich's post as an honest inquiry
about a hard problem:  how does one actually take this tangled web of
XML ideas and tools and do something with it in a real company?  Take one of
a competing set of off-the-shelf set of schemas?  Wait for the Real Thing
to come along?  Roll your own schemas / transforms and throw them away
if a standard comes along?

Also, how do you integrate XML with your existing business processes?  Treat
it just as a serialization format?  Rebuild your business processes with
"naitve" XML tools?  If the former, how do you convert the data?  If the
latter, how do you convert the people?

> use your best judgment.  There is no capsule answer as to whether or not you roll your
>own or go with industry schema, or the process of migration, if needed, in
>either case.  We have advised clients to do one or the other, depending on the
>schemata in question, their needs, and a host of other factors.

Exactly. We've had some interesting threads that tried to tease out a "decision
tree" (or at least some of the nodes in one) for some other problems that
end users face, such as whether to use an RDBMS or XML DB.  This could be
the start of another one:  how would someone who doesn't have the experience
to have a "best judgment" go about choosing?