   Re: [xml-dev] The version number in XML documents

>And two infosets (if S production is modified then there needs to be
>an infoset item telling you whether the 1.1 infoset is being used or
>the 1.0 infoset, I gather?)

There hasn't been any decision yet on changing the Infoset spec as a
result of XML 1.1.

I'm not sure whether we need the distinction of a "1.0 infoset" vs. a
"1.1 infoset".  1.1 will change which XML documents have infosets
(because it will change which documents are well-formed) and some
documents labelled 1.1 will have different infosets than they would if
they were labelled 1.0 (an NMTOKENS attribute containing a NEL will be
normalized differently, for example), but a given document will have a
single infoset.

On the other hand, some infosets will not be serializable as 1.0
documents (e.g. because they have new name characters).  Do we need
something to indicate this?  For "ordinary" documents read by a
parser, we already have a property indicating the XML version of the
source document - the [version] property on the document item.  This
could also be used in synthetic infosets to indicate an infoset that
can only be serialized as a 1.1 document.

-- Richard