   RE: [xml-dev] The version number in XML documents

> Certainly the XML 1.0 spec allows parsers to accept documents such
> as:
>
>   <?xml version="1.1"?>
>   <!-- This is document "a" -->
>   <foo/>
>
> But consider a slightly different question: is that a
> well-formed XML 1.0 document?
>
> The natural answer seems to me to be "no, it's a well-formed
> XML 1.1 document".

By "the natural answer" I assume you mean "the instinctive answer". And
in this case your instinctive answer is wrong. A well-formed XML 1.0
document is what section 2.1 of the XML 1.0 specification defines it to
be, and this unambiguously states that the above is indeed well-formed.

> And I think it's good for there to be an
> single answer to "what version of XML is this document?".

I agree that it would have been good if this were true. But you've
missed my point. We can all think of improvements we would like to make
to the XML 1.0 specification, but it is four-and-a-half-years too late
to do so. You've missed the bus, all you can do now is to catch the next
one.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com