   Re: [xml-dev] The version number in XML documents

From: "Richard Tobin" <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>

> >The best way to meet the goals of getting support for Unicode 3.1
> >out faster may be *not* to go 1.1 but just update 1.0 (strictly in
> >areas relating to tracking Unicode) with a suitable caution
> >that this will take a while to be deployed and that old parsers
> >may fail.
>
> As you know, there are some people who would object very strongly to
> that.

Sure.  But it is a pragmatic trade-off against the potential for disruption
and flow-ons with other standards.

As I wrote elsewhere, I think the version number system is inadequate:
a three-part (for example) would give the Core WG more wiggle room.
   major.minor.edition
where a parser should accept any edition, older versions
of the minor, and only needs except one major number.  Whatever,
it needs to be better defined.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe