   RE: [xml-dev] URIs harmful (was RE: [xml-dev] Article: Keeping pa ce

404 is what I expected, but you are right that it
isn't reliable.  In other words, the address box reacts
to any string.  urn:xx:yyy doesn't turn blue, though,
so the HTML engine doesn't see a URL.

I do count it as dereferencing if it attempts to
find something and comes back with an error message.
It makes the attempt.

The point is to write the spec in such a way as the
user doesn't get surprises.  Use of HTTP in the URI
always produces a surprise.  Second, if the relationship
is one to many (for any URI, there are multiple representations
that may be returned, and these should be consistent) then
the architecture can't specify other than return a consistent
error, or better, return a RDDL or catalog entry.  That
isn't different from what we have now, except the emphasis
changes from "stupid user" to "lazy author".

len