   RE: [xml-dev] version numbers and infosets

> I must say that some of the reactions to this seem excessive.
>  Does anyone have any real documents with a version number
> later than 1.0? I don't think so.  No real documents are
> broken by any change concerning versions other than 1.0.

The problem is, no one knows. Deep inside some application running an
online banking system is a bit of code that says printf("1.O") where it
should have said printf("1.0"). You issue your erratum, a new release of
a parser is produced to conform to it, and hey presto, the online
banking system goes down and no-one knows why.

This stuff is mission-critical and not to be tampered with so lightly.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com
work: Michael.Kay@softwareag.com