   Re: [xml-dev] version numbers and infosets

> >I think this is a very bad idea. Leave the existing spec
> >alone: no erratum, no change. XML 1.0 is defined by the XML 1.0 spec
> >as originally published. Make any changes in future versions if you
> >really must, but don't touch XML 1.0.
>
> There are two problems with that:
>
>  - there will be documents that are both well-formed XML 1.0 documents
>    and well-formed XML 1.1 documents, and they will have different
>    infosets depending on which you consider them as (eg a document with
>    a NEL in a tokenized attribute)
>
>  - there will be documents labelled 1.1 which are well-formed XML 1.0
>    but not well-formed XML 1.1 (eg a document with unnormalized unicode).

And for both these points, the information needed to make the right
choice - error or not - can be provided from the context.
Maybe the application is aware that there are different InfoSets,
and decides not to care, or maybe the application is set up
to accept 1.0 as 1.1, but not 1.1 as 1.0. Why enforce a choice?

From another post: What about documents intentionally designed
to work under 1.1 *and* 1.0. What should their version number be?

Karl