   Re: [xml-dev] version numbers and infosets

At 2:28 PM -0400 7/23/02, Karl Waclawek wrote:

>OK, so let's say I have an XML 1.0 document, which is also
>well-formed 1.1. But all I have is an XML 1.1 parser, and the
>XML 1.1 specs say that the version number must be 1.1.
>Am I not allowed to process it?

My expectation is that it will be a requirement that all XML 1.1
parsers correctly handle XML 1.0 documents according to the rules of
XML 1.0. The current XML 1.1 draft states "XML 1.1 processors should
accept XML 1.0 documents as well." However, given the demonstrated
lack of concern for compatibility in the current core working group,
that expectation may be unjustified. If it is indeed possible to
write a conforming XML 1.1 processor that cannot handle XML 1.0, then
no, you would not be allowed to process it.

However, it's not as if it's that hard to find a conforming 1.0
processor. Indeed, I strongly recommend that unless you expect to be
receiving documents in Amharic, Cambodian, Burmese you simply ignore
XML 1.1 and stay with XML 1.0.