   RE: [xml-dev] XML IDE: What are the top 3 and why?

Mark Feblowitz wrote

>I'm an emacs user from way back. Written lots of emacs lisp, was an
>evangelist.

>So far, nothing I've seen compares with XML Spy for visualizing and
>manipulating XML Schema.

I've seen XML Spy consider DTDs to be "valid" when they had bad mistakes in
them that any other parser would find. I too am part of the cult of Emacs;
when I need to create or edit a W3C schema I load the DTD for schemas into
Emacs with PSGML.

I once wrote a tutorial on using Emacs+PSGML aimed at people who'd never
used Emacs before. When the book I wrote it for went out of print, I put a
PDF of that chapter up for free at http://www.snee.com/bob/sgmlfree/. I'm
amazed at how often it still gets downloaded, and that it's been translated
to Polish and Russian. To those not in the cult of Emacs (picture me making
a smiling, glassy-eyed stare): join us... it's free... it doesn't hurt...
just try it for a week or two...

Bob DuCharme          www.snee.com/bob           <bob@
snee.com>  "The elements be kind to thee, and make thy
spirits all of comfort!" Anthony and Cleopatra, III ii