   RE: [xml-dev] URIs harmful

>I just want to say I completely disagree with your post.

Ok, why?

The
>reasoning is pretty suspect especially around the "insisting that
>it should always be dereferenceable breaks the web - every site
>must be available 24/7" part.  Websites being available 24/7
>breaks the web??? On what planet?

As you quoted, I said *insisting* on this [URLs always being dereferenceable] breaks the web. I don't see any flaw in that reasoning - if the system requirement is 100% on some parameter and you only have 99.9999% then that system doesn't meet the requirements, i.e. is broken. I don't think we can rely on every URL responding to a http method, on this planet at least.

Our designs (and specifications) should take this into account. The planned non-functionality of a non-dereferenceable URI is easy to work with in a systematic fashion; the non-functionality of a URL that *must* be dereferenceable asks us to deal with undefined situations.

Cheers,
Danny.