Hmm - and who might the arbiters of good form be? And what should I use in
my markup instead of xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"; ?

I more or less agree with you here on the principle, but just think if we
closed that barn door now then a lot of horses would be going without
supper. Ok, I've no problem with the use of http: being deprecated when the
protocol's not involved, but I don't think this calls for an entirely new
naming scheme or any other drastic action.

Anyhow, I propose a compromise : let's restrict the use of http:// naming to
*within* documents found by that protocol...

Cheers,
Danny.