   RE: [xml-dev] XML IDE: What are the top 3 and why?

Hear! Hear!

That's exactly what we learned. We developed using XML Spy, used Spy to
generate instance docs, and then validated the instance docs against the
schemas using production parsers, Xerces and MSXML, as well as
development-time checking,  with XML Spy, XSV, and (sometimes) with SQC.
That helped us check that the schemas were internally valid (inasmuch as the
tools could tell us) and that the intended instances didn't run afoul of any
further derivation constraints. Catching violations of unique particle
attribution constraints was a particular item that Spy didn't catch.

We found that even between daily Xerces builds, conformance checking changed
and/or was tightened, so things we thought were legal turned out not to pass
muster in a subsequent check. At the end of the day, the released schema
still must claim conformance to the Schema 1.0 Rec, with the caveat that it
is known to parse correctly under a named version (or versions) of
production validating parsers. I agree that some degree of conformance
leveling would help this story. Merely publishing a list of outstanding
issues for a particular parser release doesn't quite make it.

Mark