   Re: [xml-dev] URIs harmful

> 3) If you do an HTTP GET on an http: URI, you should expect to get
something
> back (though you may not because something is broken).  The thing you get
> back is just a representation of the actual thing that the URI identifies;
> what that actual thing is is decided by the authority creating the URI.

actually

4) If you do an HTTP GET on a http: URI you will get something back, if only
an error message from the protocol handler. The thing you get back ...

I do think that the use of the HTTP scheme in a URI rightly creates the
expectation that something at least slightly useful will be returned on a
successful dereference. The only good reason NOT to return some default
representation (other than 404) for every URI under your domain, is to catch
typos. In that sense a 404 can be considered, in some sense, a
representation.

Jonathan