   Re: [xml-dev] URIs harmful

Uche Ogbuji scripsit:

> Sorry, Joshua, but you don't get to arbitrate this.  Each person is free to
> decide that those things *are* the beach, if he chooses.  After all, "the
> beach" is an abstraction of numerous things that people conceive.

Beaches aren't a good example, because their boundaries are vague.  I like
to use bricks, because they have a bright-line definition.  The URI
brick://ci.nyc.ny.us/13+East+3rd+St?course=1&brick=20 refers to a brick.  If
you do a GET on this, and have an appropriate proxy in place, you might
get a picture of the brick, or a description of the brick, or a bare
list of facts about the brick (perhaps including "laid 1872").  But none
of these representations *is* the brick.  And bricks are as concrete as
you can get: if a brick is abstract, *everything* is abstract.

--
John Cowan    http://www.ccil.org/~cowan   <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
    "Any legal document draws most of its meaning from context. A telegram