   Re: [xml-dev] DNS based URIs that don't imply access method

On Thursday 25 July 2002 23:42, John Cowan wrote:

> The urn:oid: scheme represents ASN.1 Object Identifiers, which are
> hierarchical sequences of numbers used to label various computer-related
> things.  For example, urn:oid:1.3.6.1 is the Internet itself.

For no really good reason other than because I can:

urn:oid:1.2.826.0.1.4062548.2.0

...is the URN of my old mobile phone. Not of the *number* - there's a URL
scheme for phone numbers - but of the phone itself. That phone is no longer
associated with the number anyway, because I have a new phone.

I tend to use OIDs for XML namespaces in order to avoid the URL "confusions".

ABS