   RE: [xml-dev] URIs harmful

> > the "Semantic Web" in no way depends on being able to parse URIs. You
> are
> > essentially claiming the opposite, but fail to support your claims
> with
>
> I am in no way suggesting that semantic agents will parse URIs.
>
> However, you can't stop *people* from noticing something in a URL like
> isbn: or http: and thinking "this must be a book, and that must be a
> hypermedia server".

This is the big question.

Roy Fielding says that "http" URIs might identify anything, not just documents.
Tim Berners-Lee says that "http" URIs ought be reserved for documents, but that URI references which use HTTP URIs but which contain a fragment identifier, might identify anything.

So just looking at whether a URI reference starts with "http" is no good in EITHER case. Perhaps you have a third view. In any case there is no consensus for such a third view and there are lots of folks with positions stacked up against that (third) view. In any case you are going to have to articulate your view because I see no "FIRE".

> When someone yells "FIRE" in a crowded room, you should expect people to
> assume that you mean there is a fire.  In fact, you should *encourage*
> them to; it's only prudent.

You seem to be screaming "FIRE" but I look around and don't see one. I'm not sure I have anything more to say barring some more evidence of an actual fire. In any case no major "Semantic Web" player advocates using "urn" URIs or perhaps you and I have a different definition for the "Semantic Web" and hang around in different theaters.

Jonathan