   Re: [xml-dev] URIs harmful

after a sensible person asked why don't you subscribe to xml-dev , ......so
a short majordomo / subscribe later.......and i get this pseudo academic
bullshite..........in less then 5 emails with the subject 'URI's are
harmful', geez If I thought I was subscribing to TAG I would have.....
-------------------------------------

'no Semantic Web systems require parsing of a URI in order to draw
conclusions about the URI. '
* I love it how sure someone can be when it involves a silicon chip

'I am in no way suggesting that semantic agents will parse URIs.'
*lordy lordy, what the hell is a semantic agent ! yikes ( flipping pages,
drinking double strength cheap coffee )

'In any case no major "Semantic Web" player advocates using "urn" URIs or
perhaps you and I have a different definition for the "Semantic Web" and
hang around in different theaters.'
*semantic web ? whats that mate, can I use XSLT on it ?

'I personally don't regard appeals to the vested authority of players as a
valid way to make decisions. '
*yes, those mystical druids of self promotion .....

'I will assume that you are speaking in your capacity as an employee of
Microsoft. '
* low blow, disallowed, its not his fault he got a nice job........

'Certainly the "Semantic Web" (capitalized) has been a project led by TimBLs
and the W3C.'
*analysis of semantics started a bit earlier, look in 17th century
literature ( and until a uri means something to machines and people...... )

' I'm pretty sure that most people wouldn't care what this argument is
about. I don't think there really _is_ a "global perspective" '
* my god something that makes sense ( and protect oil interests everywhere
..... )

I must admit that sometimes I think my wee little brain can't
understand..........is this not just a forum to see how smart we are ? why
not throw it over the wall and see what happens, lord knows we've done worst
in the past; in any event why not reduce the noise on this list and make it
useful, all you guys have big enough brains.

and here's me thinking that the semantic web would be useful some day
because I could solve domain independent problems using the genetic
algorithm...............

cheers, jim fuller