   Re: [xml-dev] parsing of xml string

> I can parse a file, but when I try to parse an xml string, I get a "NO
> PROTOCOL" exception.

> InputSource inPS = new InputSource(xmlDoc);
> saxParser.parse(inPS, handler);

The problem is that the constructor for the InputSource is overloaded. It
can accept a String or a stream. If you send a String, as you are doing, the
InputSource expects this to be a System ID, e.g URI, which requires a scheme
such as file:, http: etc.

To parse an XML file from String, you wll need to wrap the string in an
InputStream and then send the stream to the InputSource constructor. You can
still set the system and public ids but it is not necessary-- the SAX parser
should use the stream.

HTH,
Jeff Rafter
Defined Systems
http://www.defined.net
XML Development and Developer Web Hosting