   Re: [xml-dev] Re: URIs, concrete (was Re: [xml-dev] Un-ask the question)

Jonathan
Walter Perry wrote:

> ...I'm
> not really asking about namespaces. I'm wondering about the weight of an
> attribute's namespace upon the semantics elaborated from processing that
> attribute and the element upon which it depends in a given context.

XML doesn't assign semantics, it is about syntax. If you consider semantics a range of possible interpretations that may be given to a syntactic structure, then the XML specifications, including the infoset, define which syntactic structures may be assigned different semantics. For example, according to the XML Infoset, one should not determine the range of interpretation of a given XML structure depending on whether or not an attribute is single or double quoted.

Assuming that two prefixes are bound to the same namespace URI, one _should not_ (but may) assign a different range of interpretations depending on which prefix qualifies a given attribute. One may however assign a different range of interpretations depending on whether an attribute is prefixed or not.

Jonathan