   Re: [xml-dev] assigning semantics to XML, Re: [xml-dev] Re: URIs, concre

To clarify,

> One may assign a different range of interpretations to a given namespace
> qualified element with an attribute depending on whether the attribute is:
>
> a) not qualified (no prefix)
> b) qualified with the namespace name of the element
> c) qualified with any other individual namespace name
>
> This does not mean that one is _required_ to assign _a different_ interpretation
> to each of the above cases, rather it means that one _is not required_ to assign
> _the same_ interpretation to each of the above cases. The distinction is
> important.

The above assumes the attribute has a constant value. Obviously if one changes the value of an attribute, then one _might_ have a different range of interpretations for each value.

Consider, however, the semantics assigned by XML Schema datatypes. Assuming the following

<foo:bar baz="10" />
<foo:bar baz="010" />

and given the type:

element foo:bar {
 attribute baz{xsd:integer}
}

This constrains the range of interpretations given both the element with baz="10" and baz="010" to be the same (I am not constraining the range of interpretations, rather saying that both must have the same range.)

Jonathan