   RE: RE: [xml-dev] Semantic Web

> > >Google is the semantic web.
> > >   http://ftrain.com/google_takes_all.html
> >
> > I find this article both interesting, because it does sketch
> > out a plausible scenario for the SW ... but infuriating
> > because it blithely assumes that Google pays attention to metadata.

> > The key to Google's success is that ignores what a page
> > says it is about (beyond the words themselves, of course)
> > and uses "observational metadata" based on what others  say about
it.

> semantic web where only metadata published by the owner of the content
> is available is next to useless. The value of the SemWeb is being able
> to obtain metadata about content from any source"

Exactly.  Data provided by the page owner is hardly "metadata".  It's
just extra crap wrapped in a meta tag :-)

Google does a lot of work to get at the stuff that *other* people are
saying about a page.  They record metadata from browsing patterns using
google toolbar; they record metadata from clickthrough on the google
search page; they collect metadata from hrefs on other pages.  And so
on.

That is *exactly* what semantic web is about.  When you do a google
search, you get the benefit of all of the metadata from *other*
independent parties.