   Re: [xml-dev] so many options no idea where to begin

"G. Ken Holman" wrote:

> At 2002-07-30 17:24 -0700, Rick Jones wrote:
> >*) i'm not sure when one "should" use attributes versus a nested element
>
> Check out http://xml.coverpages.org/elementsAndAttrs.html for a few opinions.

Thanks. This whole thing is beginning to remind me of one of the
backhanded compliments about SCSI - "SCSI is great, there are so many
standards to choose from." :)

> Personally, I'm a big fan of external parsed general entities for the
> management of a single large XML document in many small pieces.  My
> training material is authored in XML and to change one paragraph I need
> only pull a lesson entity into a text editor instead of the entire course.

So, when I want the great big config file, don't try to stitch it
together with statements inside the config file, but "cat" (as it were)
several  smaller files together - with an XSLT? (probably have the wrong
term)

> I do *not* use such constructs for sharing information as fragments between
> multiple XML instances; I use XSLT to extract fragments of an XML document,
> thus keeping every external parsed general entity in a single parsing
> context (set of DTD declarations for entities).
>
> I hope this helps.

every little bit is a help, thanks,

rick jones
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com  but NOT BOTH...