   RE: [xml-dev] Re: URIs, concrete (was Re: [xml-dev] Un-ask the question)

  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>,"XML DEV" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Re: URIs, concrete (was Re: [xml-dev] Un-ask the question)
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:23:40 -0700

I'm not disagreeing that what the XML below is bad practice. My point, which you completely ignored, was that the feature allows authors to have local attributes which can be tailored specifically to their parent elements without having to be uniquelly named in the document. A side effect of this is the XML that you showed.

I could also make a similar argument for eliminating static methods OO languages because it encuorages people from a procedural background to eschew objects and write their apps as one big mess of static method calls. However, rationally simply because there is potential misuse for a feature doesn't mean that there aren't any benefits.