   RE: [xml-dev] xml schema

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] xml schema
  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 10:05:55 -0400

At 8:36 PM -0700 8/31/02, Dare Obasanjo wrote:
>In my personal opinion, an article that advises against using complex
>types in W3C XML Schema cannot claim to be without bias.

In other words, no matter how the conclusion was reached, no matter
how much evidence he presents to support his point, no matter what
his preconceptions might have been, no matter whether he had a
personal interest in seeing the exact opposite conclusion, the mere
result of his investigation is evidence of bias.

This is ridiculous, and an unfortunately a far too common evidentiary
fallacy, especially on the Internet. I hear it all the time,
especially from Microsoft and Java partisans, and I've learned that
all an accusation of bias really means is that the correspondent
can't justify their own position on the basis of evidence so they
call me biased.

Just because someone disagrees with you does not mean they are
biased. Just because someone is wrong does not mean they are biased.
Bias is a very serious accusation. It deserves to be backed up with
specific proof of both the cause and existence of the bias. Short of
that, it's just argument by name calling.