   Re: [xml-dev] xml schema

Dare Obasanjo wrote:

> It has no discernable bias if you're not versed in the subject
> matter.

He couldn't disagree with you unless he is biased. I couldn't disagree
with you about his bias unless I am lacking in knowledge about XML
Schema.

I've been doing "XML" since around 1996 when it was (more or less)
called "best practices for SGML". I wrote one of the first proposals for
how type inheritance might work (or, I concluded, finally, probably
would NOT WORK). When he says type inheritance is a bad idea, that
resonates with me for a variety of reasons that would take many hours to
go into. When he says that "first-class" complex types are not
particularly interesting outside of inheritance, that also resonates
with me.

> "To be precise, you can always write it without understanding complex
> types, but unfortunately you have to type <complexType> elements."

Makes sense to me!

> followed by
>
> "Just consider a <complexType> as something you have to write as a
> sole child of the <element> element. That is, you write element declarations as follows:

Ditto.

> "Inheritance is a complex type's only advantage, but you really
> don't want to use it."

Yep! After a year of off-and-on research I concluded that trying to
import OO-style inheritance to schemas was a bad idea.

> Loosely translated, don't use this feature because 1 month after
> the  technology became a W3C recommendation implementations are
> still buggy and I believe developers are too lazy and too dumb
> to implement it anyway.

There are many features of various technologies that developers never
get around to implementing properly. Perhaps the long term proves him
wrong about this one.

> The article is a FUD fest. Every genuine concern is exaggerated
> while phantom almost nonsensical  concerns are constructed in an
> attempt to discredit the technology.

I choose to interpret as a guide to avoiding the parts of the technology
that will cause frustration.
--
 Paul Prescod