   Re: [xml-dev] Why is there no schema for RSS?

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Why is there no schema for RSS?
  • From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@garshol.priv.no>
  • Date: 03 Sep 2002 23:50:53 +0200
  • Sender: larsga@pc36.avidiaasen.online.no

* Dare Obasanjo

| Considering that the describing a structure for XML and ensuring
| that documents conform to that structure is generally a solved
| problem I find it perplexing that no schema for RSS (besides an RDF
| schema) exists.

The RSS 0.91 specification from Netscape had a DTD:

Given that RSS 0.91 did not enforce a particular order on most
elements XML DTDs were not a particularly good fit, but they used it
anyway, probably because they had an example to start from.

Why the later versions didn't have any sort of formal schema I can't
answer. I wondered about that, too.