   Re: [xml-dev] what is xml most used for

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 12:58:27PM -0500, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> [...]

I think that's Len's way of saying "your question is much too general to
be answerable in any useful way." Given the explosive growth of XML, its
evolution into disparate and complex, subtechnologies, and the fact that
many XML development efforts are done under NDAs, I doubt that anyone
can reliably answer the first part of your question, except in the most
general terms.

The second part of your question, "What projects are people working
on?," is certainly answerable, but the senior people on this list may
not want to spend time answering it, because those of their projects
that can be publicized already are, through mailing lists like this one,
conference presentations, articles, and various and sundry web sites.

But I'll give you a quick outline of some of the XML-based projects I've
worked on:

 * An XSLT-based health insurance portal ... it provides a common
   interface that doctors and patients can use to access claims and
   eligibility information; it uses XML in an EDI-like fashion to
   communicate with insurance companies, and uses XSLT to render the
   data for a web interface.

 * An embryonic content-management application for instructional
   materials, which can generate slides in PowerPoint-compatible
   HTML or PDF, as well as handouts and such.

 * A GUI-based scientific application builder designed around an
   electronic chip metaphor, which uses XML to store reusable
   application components.

 * A SOAP-based content-syndication service (had I known then what I
   know now, I don't think I would use SOAP for that kind of application
   ... but it was a couple of years ago, I was naive about a few things,
   the client wanted an "XML API" without really knowing what that
   meant ... it sounded like SOAP to me ...)

 * Software documentation, of course.

And if you don't get much more than that, well, don't give up. I'd say,
hang around, pay attention, and come back with more focused questions
when you can.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA