   RE: [xml-dev] Shouldn't colon be reserved?

I used to think everyone that uses XML today must be using namespaces until I took a closer look around and noticed this was just how I used XML. For example anyone using RSS 0.9x doesn't use namespaces (then again some of them aren't aren't even really using XML but I digress) similarly I've seen quite a few of widespread config and documentation file formats that don't use namespaces either.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Tom Bradford [mailto:bradford@dbxmlgroup.com]
	Sent: Mon 9/9/2002 10:08 AM
	To: G. Ken Holman
	Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
	Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Shouldn't colon be reserved?

	On Monday, September 9, 2002, at 03:34 AM, G. Ken Holman wrote:
	> XML-based applications are either namespace-aware or not, as described
	> in the namespaces Recommendation.

	But let's be honest.  Very few applications, perhaps only those that
	have lived in a vacuum since 1997, can get by without having to be
	namespace aware.  Just about anything that a person might actually want
	to *do* with or to a document requires namespaces.

	> Layering is good.

	Normally I would wholeheartedly agree, but in the case of XML
	namespaces, the way that it is layered creates semantic ambiguity to
	non-namespaced processors and to DTD-based validation, which has to be
	addressed by a developer rather carefully.

	Anyway, it's all Mike Champion's fault.

	--
	Tom Bradford - CTO - The dbXML Group - http://www.dbxml.com
	Apache Xindice (XML Database) - http://xml.apache.org/xindice