   RE: [xml-dev] Subtyping in XML

> Jeff Lowery scripsit:
>
> > I guess the point I'm trying to make is that we seem to narrow our
> > definitions of universal types to only those that have validatable
> > membership and universal representation.  There are a lot
> of well-understood
> > types they fail both criteria.
> >
> > Prime numbers.
>
> Say what?  Every prime number has a unique lexical representation,
> and there is an effective test for telling primes from non-primes.

Sorry, I must be abusing terms again.  By 'lexical' I meant something like a
number being expressible as arabic or roman numerals. If that's the wrong
term, give me another.

> That looks like universal representation and validatable
> membership to me.

Not practically, I didn't think.  If I'm wrong, change it to the type whose
members are the result of  multiplying two primes. I hope that one's still
tough.  Again, abuse of terminology: computable, yes, but not in a practical
sense.

I'm guessing that there are types whose members can only be reasoned by
induction, but I could be wrong.   It's the impracticality of validation of
some members that I'm trying to express. And that may vary depending on
local resources.

> Whether it's important to any particular user to actually validate is
> another concern.  If so, the receiver just specifies a local
> scheme that
> specifies xsd:integer rather than jl:prime as the type.

Yeah, but he's not really validating the value to the extent necessary to
ensure his computations are giving correct results.

> Now if you wanted a type without either, consider "beautiful
> thoughts".

Do you have a rigorous definition for those?