   SVG (Was: Top 10 commercial XML vocabularies?)

In a message dated 10/09/2002 15:48:12 GMT Daylight Time, clbullar@ingr.com writes:

Do you think
the mainstream of the SVG community has the
same opinion about SVG being 2D only and
feature-complete?

Len,

As long as one is careful to distinguish today's actual on-the-monitor SVG implementations from features currently under development (in SVG 1.1) or semi-promised (as in the 1.2/2.0 Requirements Working Draft) then I think it is reasonable to say that SVG's feature completeness (whatever precisely that means) is well underway.

I don't think it is realistic to claim that SVG 1.0 implementations which are generally available today are actually "feature complete". But today's SVG is pretty close to the fabled 80/20 divide.

By the time SVG 2.0 arrives (in 18 or 24 months??) then we will be pretty much there. ... But, of course, we will have dreamed up more features that we really "need" by that time. :)

Andrew Watt