   SGML queries

1) What is the correct jargon for an element which allows both start-tag and
end-tag omission?  I have been calling them "phantom elements", since they
may be ESIS-present but lexically absent.

2) I note that when SP has a choice between inferring a missing end-tag and
inferring a missing start-tag (and phantom element), it infers the end-tag:

<!DOCTYPE root [
        <!ELEMENT root - - (foo, foo?)>
        <!ELEMENT foo - O (#PCDATA | bar)*>
        <!ELEMENT bar O O (foo)>
        ]>

does not generate an ESIS containing "bar", and even adding a "</bar>"
before "</root>" does not help.  Is this behavior prescribed by the
Standard?

--
De plichten van een docent zijn divers,         John Cowan
die van het gehoor ook.                         jcowan@reutershealth.com