   Re: [xml-dev] SGML queries

"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" scripsit:

> *Bonehead elements* might be good.

Ho!

> Other than in
> the SGML Handbook, I've never seen these used
> in practice.

Well the document "<title>foo</title>bar" is valid HTML (not XHTML)
if appropriately decorated with a DOCTYPE declaration,
HTML 4.01 has four phantom elements: html, head, body, and tbody (inside
tables).

> Assuming that your SGML Declaration has "OMITTAG YES"
> and you aren't playing with short tags.

Correct.

> "A start tag is omissible when the element type is
> contextually required and any other elemnt types that
> could occur are contextually optional." pg 74

Okay, fair enough.

> "Even when an element is contextually required, its
> start tag cannot be omitted if the element type has
> required attributes or a declared content, or if the
> instance of the element is empty."  pg 75

Okay.  Required attributes have to go someplace, and EMPTY or CDATA or other
oddball contents can't just appear without any lexical labeling.

> Section 4.6.1 takes up the OMITTAG feature in more
> detail.  If you don't have a copy of the handbook,
> let me know and I will transcribe the relevant
> page or two.

Thanks, I'd appreciate it.

--
John Cowan                              <jcowan@reutershealth.com>