   RE: [xml-dev] abstract types

  • To: "Maciejewski, Thomas" <Thomas.Maciejewski@lehman.com>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] abstract types
  • From: "CHIUSANO, Joseph" <JCHIUSANO@lmi.org>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 11:08:58 -0400
  • Disposition-notification-to: "CHIUSANO, Joseph" <JCHIUSANO@lmi.org>

Tom,

W3C Schema contains a feature called Abstract Datatypes that I believe may be useful to you.  In a nutshell, abstract datatypes are complex datatypes that act as "templates" from which other complex datatypes are derived.  However, unlike base datatypes, abstract datatypes cannot be used directly in element declaration (i.e. you can declare an element to be of a type that is derived from the abstract datatype, but not of the abstract datatype itself).

More info in section 4.7 of the W3C Schema Primer:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-0/

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
LMI