   Re: [xml-dev] attributes vs. elements

Alessandro Triglia scripsit:

> If a schema is given, why would a DTD be needed?  Is there a reason why
> one would want to add a DTD to an instance that is known to be
> described/constrained by a schema?

Well, of course some things like general entities can only be declared in a
DTD.  The point is that if a DTD is present, its effects on the information
set are done *before* XML Schema processing is done.

> (Also, what would guarantee that the
> DTD and the schema are consistent with each other?)

Nothing.

> [I]s there general agreement that attribute values are to be
> [minimally] normalized by XML processors even if DTDs are not used
> at all?

Unquestionably yes.  Section 3.3.3 of the XML Recommendation (2nd ed.) says:

# Before the value of an attribute is passed to the application or checked
# for validity, the XML processor must normalize the attribute value by
# applying the algorithm below, or by using some other method such that
# the value passed to the application is the same as that produced by
# the algorithm.

> So if there is no DTD, this further normalization never occurs.  This
> means that an XML Schema "string" will have its leading, trailing, and
> multiple spaces preserved.

Correct.

> A "preserve" value for the white-space facet
> effectively means "replace" when applied to attributes.  Correct?

Yes.

--
John Cowan   <jcowan@reutershealth.com>   http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
"One time I called in to the central system and started working on a big