   Re: [xml-dev] [Fwd: The problems with Xlink for integration languages]

[Forwarded by Ann Navarro:]

Steven Pemberton wrote:

> XML has what you may call 'host languages', and what you may call
> 'integration languages'.

A distinction without a difference, because an integration language can
always be endowed with a top-level form.

 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2000Jan/0217.html

What may matter is if a host language provides for a "bridge" element
explicitly.

> 1) Suppose we have an integration language 'XML Handlers', that has an
> element
>
>     <script>
>         a=b
>     </script>
>
> and as an option the <script> element may have an attribute pointing
> to an external resource:
>
>     <script src="/scripts/pop" />
>
> and someone complains that this should use XLink, so it gets changed
> to:
>
>     <script xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink";
>         xlink:href="/scripts/pop" xlink:type="simple"
>         xlink:show="embed" xlink:actuate="onLoad" />

      <script src="/scripts/pop"
          xmlmap="xlink s-map"
          xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink";
          s-map="href src :auto s-auto"
          s-auto="type show embed"
          type="simple" show="embed" actuate="onLoad" />

(See http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200208/msg01589.html and
followups for the basic idea.  It can even be improved.)

> 2) Suppose we have another integration language "XML Security" that
> requires adding references to security preference files via a URL
> xsecurity:preferences="..."
>
>     <myElement xsecurity:preferences="/security/pref1.xsp">
>     </myElement>
>
> Someone says they should make this XLink compatible, so they instead
> just define a new xlink:role "http://example.org/security":
>
>     <myElement xlink:href="/security/pref1.xsp" xlink:type="simple"
>         xlink:show="embed"  xlink:actuate="onLoad"
>         xlink:role="http://example.org/security"; />

      <myElement preferences="/security/pref1.xsp"
          xmlmap="xlink p-map"
          xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink";
          p-map="href preferences :auto p-auto"
          p-auto="type show embed role"
          type="simple" show="embed" actuate="onLoad"
          role="http://example.org/security"; />

> Well, now when we want to integrate XML Handlers with XML Security, we
> can't put a security preferences URI on the <script> element because
> it already has a URI.

Sure you can.  use a different attribute and map its name.

      <script src="/scripts/pop" preferences="/security/pref1.xsp"
          xmlmap="xlink s-map xlink p-map"
          xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink";
          s-map="href src :auto s-auto"
          p-map="href preferences :auto p-auto"
          s-auto="type show embed"
          p-auto="type show embed role"
          type="simple" show="embed" actuate="onLoad"
          role="http://example.org/security"; />

> So we can't integrate the two: we have to redesign one of them;
> integration is impossible.

How about dropping the namespace colonification fetish instead?

> 3) And then along comes the XML Privacy group that introduces the XML
> Privacy specification that says that in order to reference a privacy
> preference file from XML, you have to put a URL ... no let's not do
> that today.

Why not?  It's *trivial*.