   RE: [xml-dev] Don't Let Architecture Astronauts Scare You

9/16/2002 2:04:39 PM, "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com> wrote:

>The Triumph of Tinkerism.

Something tells me you don't dispute that as an empirical description of the
Web, eh?  We could argue about it as a normative model, of course.

Speaking of which, I recently stumbled on a reference to a 30-year-old
article I fondly remember from graduate school:

Cohen et al. (1972) - A Garbage Can Model of Organizational Choice

"Organized anarchies are organizations characterized by problematic
preferences, unclear technology, and fluid participation.
Recent studies of universities, a familiar form of organized anarchy,
suggest that such organizations can be viewed for some purposes as
collections of choices looking for problems, issues and feelings
looking for decision situations in which they might be aired,
solutions looking for issues to which they might be an answer,
and decision makers looking for work. Cohen et al. translated
these ideas into an explicit computer simulation model of a
garbage can decision process. "
http://www.stanford.edu/~mmorten/orgweb/summaries/gsb/content/Cohen+et_al.html

"Tinkerism" is the best you can HOPE for in such an environment.