   Re: [xml-dev] Don't Let Architecture Astronauts Scare You

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 02:55:42PM -0400, Mike Champion wrote:
> 9/16/2002 2:45:41 PM, "Alastair Dallas" <adallas@infospect.com> wrote:
>
> > The genesis of "Design Patterns"
> >(Gamma, Helm, et al) is a book called "A Pattern Language" (Alexander, et
> >al), a mainstay of a good building architect's philosophy, IMHO. Most
> >clients do not want fashion and the glory of innovation; they want
> >comfortable, accessible solutions. There are new patterns, new idioms, to be
> >discovered, certainly.
>
> Rumor has it that Alexander gets much more respect from computer nerds
> than from architects.  Any truth to that?

I dunno, but I was an architecture student once upon a time. At my
school, the University of Oregon, Alexander was generally considered a
hero. In fact, he played a major role in developing at least one
iteration of the campus master plan.

Of course, the world of (building) architecture has its factions, each
with very different ideas of what architecture is all about (sound
familiar?).

By the way, this discussion reminds me of a book I read back in the day
called "Architecture without Architects" by Bernard Rudofsky. It's a
magnificent study of the elegant and often brilliant building designs
that various societies have developed through centuries and millenia of
traditional construction. I wonder if book stores are still carrying it.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA