From: Liam Quin [mailto:liam@w3.org]
Sent: 18 septembre, 2002 13:24
To: Didier PH Martin
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] strange feeling

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 01:08:18PM -0400, Didier PH Martin wrote:
> Funny, it all started with the general idea to simplify a too complex
> SGML. You know, frankly, I am starting to find SGML easier than what
XML
> is becomming :-) :-). Maybe it's a natural tendency in human beings to
> make simple things complex. Humm, who knows ..

Wat was achieved with XML was
(1) a level of interoperability not achieved with SGML:
    interoperability without human intervention,
    no need to edit DOCTYPE declarations or catalogs or SDATA
    entity replacements, no need to worry about normalisation support,
    or ommittag behaving differently in different parsers...

(2) a small enough profile that it could be implemented quickly,
    and understood easily

(3) a freely available specification

As features are added, they are added on top of that smaller foundation.

This is very different from having a large complex spec with poor
interopability.

Or that's my perspective at least :-)

Liam

--