   XLink/XHTML consensus?

I smell somewhat of a consensus in the discussions about XHTML2.0 linking,
HLINK and XLINK.

What people would _really_ like to have is a method of linking that:

1. allows multiple links of different types to be attached to the same
element start tag
2. is general enough to be used for vocabularies other than XHTML, or other
purposes than linking
3. allows the markup vocabulary designer to choose his own names for
elements and attributes
4. does not require the use of XML Namespaces
5. easy to use by end users; does not require a markup wonk just to create
an instance document

I'm sure there's plenty of people who find each of these requirements
questionable, but if there were a linking mechanism that met each of these,
it seems that everyone would be happy.

I have an idea of a mechanism that would accomplish this, but it does use
"Stupid DTD Tricks", which may be anethema to some.

Does anyone care? or are DTDs beyond the pale these days?

-Wayne Steele