   Re: [xml-dev] ( Slightly off topic ) JMS and other messaging

> Folks:
>
> From a "pragmatic" perspective, fundamentally, I feel JMS and SOAP are
> designed to solve two different problems -
>
> 1. I will use JMS, if I want to exchange "messages" between applications
> with following characteristics
>
>            a. mostly asynchronous (could be synchronous, but then it
defeats
> the core advantage of messaging)
>            b. preferably within the firewall
>            c. preferably all applications are built using Java
> [there are some "non-elegant" ways to get around (a) and (b)]
>
> Also, the payload could be anything - binary object, XML, etc. Most
vendors
> have first-class support for XML messages.
>
> 2. I will use SOAP, if I am running a business application (say "travel
> reservation") and I want to expose this service/API to the external world
in
> a standardized way that "external world" could discover you, understand
your
> services (WSDL) and invoke your services. And SOAP binding with HTTP helps
> you bypass the firewall issue.

 Can u explain how SOAP+HTTP bypass the firewall issue...
 we can bind SOAP+SMTP  ..even this should bypass the firewall(i think),
 I am new to this concepts can u explain more,or where can i get more
info...

 Thanks in advance,
 Pavithran
 SONY-INDIA