   Re: [xml-dev] InnerXml is like printf (WAS: Underwhelmed)

Arjun Ray wrote,
> Miles Sabin <miles@milessabin.com> wrote:
> | But on reflection (and playing devils advocate a bit) maybe it's
> | not as unreasonable as it seems. It has quite a lot in common with
> | printf- style IO APIs, which despite being error-prone (and
> | occasionally the source of security vulnerabilities) have proved to
> | be surprisingly resistant to replacement by more structured,
> | typesafe or object- oriented APIs.
>
> Because it's
>
>   1.  Quick
>   2.  Dirty
>   3.  Easily assimilated as rote technique by the grunt programmer

Sounds promising ;-)

You missed,

  4. Flexible
  5. Eminently reusable

> So, you get yourself a roomful of GPs and have 'em crank printfs
> until the budget runs out.  It's called Resource Management, I
> believe.

Wow!

Well, I've heard a lot of complaints about printf's in my time, but I
don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about them being so simple
that even chimps could use 'em ;-)

> Or libraries designed with the GP in mind.
<snip/>
> How about
>
>    import some.library.ConvenienceFunctions ;
>
>    String s = "The Right Library" ;
>    int    i = 2 ;
>
>    parent.add( new Eusability( ).aFactor( 2 ).add( s ) ) ;

You missed out the first step: "first write your vocabulary specific
library". That'd make sense in some cases, but clearly not in anything
like all.

Cheers,

Miles