   Re: [xml-dev] InnerXml is like printf (WAS: Underwhelmed)

Miles Sabin <miles@milessabin.com> wrote:
| Arjun Ray wrote,

|>| Even when there's no (or an evolving) DTD/schema?
|>
|> No schema?  Sounds like tag soup, then.  All bets are off.
|
| Right, so code generation isn't a complete solution.

Yes, the incomplete part is where the other end is willing to accept the
costs.  See my rant following up to Elliotte :-)

| There is, after all, a role for generic XML processing.

As text?  Perhaps in editing environments, but I don't know of any other
meaningful use case.

| Or consider things which amount to much the same thing as there being
| no DTD/schema from a codegen POV: processing documents with multiple
| schemas

Who said we can import only one library? ;-)

| (maybe an open-ended collection),

As in, where the GP can be counted on to have domain-specific knowledge of
that many vocabularies?

I smell tag soup.

| or processing document fragments.

As in, non-well-formed fragments to begin with?  I'm not sure what that
has to do with generating output.  In what way could it be useful to
produce fragments that are not well-formed?