   Re: [xml-dev] Underwhelmed (WAS: [xml-dev] XOM micro tutorial)

Elliotte Rusty Harold scripsit:

> I guess what .Net is doing here is sort of a mini-parse on the
> document, extracting its root element, and inserting that. That cuts
> out a lot of middleman code if this is a common use-case. I have
> considered adding a method to my Builder class which would build a
> Document by parsing it from a String, rather than requiring the
> client to construct a StringReader first. If you are getting a lot of
> complete documents arriving in strings, this is helpful. You've gone
> a little further than that.

In any case, this stuff is trivial under XOM.   You invoke a Builder
from a StringReader, get the document element, detach it, and insert
it into the main document where you want it to go.  This works because
XOM nodes, unlike DOM nodes, can freely be ported from one document
to another without doing anything magic and expensive to them.

--
John Cowan                              <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
http://www.reutershealth.com            http://www.ccil.org/~cowan