   Re: [xml-dev] InnerXml is like printf (WAS: Underwhelmed)

>Can you, in all honesty, say that the latter is cleaner, more consistent
>and less confusing than the former?

Yes. The former looks way too much like Perl for my comfort. (What's
the difference between Perl and line noise? Line noise is more
compressible.) I can't tell which elements end where, what the values
of the attributes are, where the text is coming from. It's not at all
obvious to me what that code is doing. The former syntax may be
somewhat more compact, but I am not convinced that it is more
legible. In fact, I think exactly the opposite.

On the other hand, this syntax would indeed be more obvious:

   <head>
     <title>Example 3</title>
     <link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' href="/ss/style.css"/>
   </head>

However, that's not legal Java, C#, or Perl code. It is legal XSLT,
and I think for this use-case XSLT may be the simplest solution.
However, given that I'm trying to develop an API for Java, because
there are many things Java is better at than XSLT that still need
some XML functionality, this syntax isn't an option, at least not
without writing a preprocessor.

Actually, now that I think of it if you reinvented Java Server Pages,
but based it around XML rather than HTML, and made it client focused
rather than requiring to run in a servlet, you might be able to do
something really interesting that got the best of both worlds.