len

From: Joe English [mailto:jenglish@flightlab.com]

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> Make no apologies for the DOM.  Before it,
> what did we have except the ESIS?

That's comparing apples and screwdrivers.
ESIS isn't an API, it's a set of requirements
that an SGML API should implement; it's the
SGML equivalent of the XML InfoSet.

Before the DOM, we had Netscape-flavored JavaScript
and MSIE-flavored JavaScript.  *That* was the problem
that the DOM tries to solve.

There were and are plenty of language-specific APIs for
SGML/XML processing, and none of them need to interoperate
with each other.  This isn't something that the W3C needs to
standardize IMO.